May 2, 2017
I saw Vol 2 last night and was not disappointed. Once again, Drax steals the show (I think my favourite line of his is still from Vol 1, “Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it.” But there are still many many actualols.)
It’s nice that Yondu gets a decent arc, and I wasn’t sure what Nebula would be up to but glad she was there too. The Stan Lee cameo might be my favourite one yet.
As with many comic book movies the finale becomes a bit of a CGI slugfest* but it’s still fun, funny, and dramatic enough to hold your attention.
A good measure of a comic book film is whether or not Sarah genuinely enjoys it or whether she’s humouring me. The first Guardians is the only one we saw together twice in the cinema, and I think we’d both see this again. Also the soundtrack is, predictably, great. I think the only thing I was disappointed by was the lack of a Ragnarok trailer before the movie.
Stray things that made me smile (spoilers I guess):
- Howard the Duck!
- Zardu Hasslefrau
- Yondu’s face during the 700 bounces
- Drax’s turd brag
- “You look like Mary Poppins!” “Was he cool?” … “Yeah he was cool”
- Adam Warlock (almost!)
- “The skin is the same level of thickness from the inside as from the outside!”
- Jeff Goldblum’s blink-and-you’ll-miss-it credits Grandmaster cameo
- Teen Groot!
* I actually thought the first film handled this pretty well, I don’t mind a big space battle and the actual final ‘fight’ with Ronan managed to largely avoid this